A Mix of Emotions

I was so proud of myself this afternoon. After leaving work early I ran by Target to buy a few last minute items including exercise pants in an attempt to keep my legs halfway warm this weekend. I packed up my duffel bag with all my goodies – even my sleeping bag, an air mattress, two tarps and a small, rechargeable air compressor – and it all came in at 33 pounds.

Todd and I also kept a watch on the weather and the 3-Day website and it was looking dismal. The weather kept looking worse and nothing was being said about alternative plans on the website. So I finished packing, had a nice family dinner, watched last night’s GLEE on the DVR and got ready to leave for the hotel where we would be starting our adventure tomorrow morning.

As I stood there with my 33 pound duffel bag/back pack on my shoulders thinking, Dang! This sure feels more like 50 pounds!, Tina called to wish us good luck. She also wanted us to know that if we chose not to walk in the Nor’easter nobody would think ill of us, which I greatly appreciated.

Once again we got on-line to check the weather and the website. The high for tomorrow had dropped since the last time I had looked – down to 41 with a chill factor of 32. I started to have second thoughts because we really don’t have the appropriate clothing for those types of temperatures. We then went to the website and found this:

October 16-18, 2009

In light of the extreme cold, windy and wet weather conditions the Philadelphia Breast Cancer 3-Day Opening Ceremony (previously scheduled for Friday morning at 7 a.m. at Willow Grove Park Mall) and the first day of walking have been cancelled.

As organizers of the event, our main priority is to ensure the safety and welfare of our participants. After consultation with medical and safety experts, a delay of the event was determined to be the most appropriate action.

I wanted to go “whew” and “nuts” all at the same time. (Would that be “whuts”?) I’m very disappointed that we’re not going to get to have the whole experience. But I’m also relieved that the decision to go or stay was made for us. That would be because the Reverend Terri Stone told me she would pray for the right decision. Thanks Terri!

We’re supposed to keep checking with the website to see what the plan is after tomorrow. I’ll be sure to let you know!


  1. beans on October 15, 2009 at 9:27 pm

    Well, I am bummed that you won't get the whole experience, but better than gettin pneumonia or something! I do hope you get to walk some . .either way J and I are proud of you for doing all the work to get to this point!! You rock and we wish you all the best this weekend–even if it is spent on the couch vegging! (ps–i think you should still get monday off even if you don't walk!!!)hugs

  2. Carpool Queen on October 16, 2009 at 9:27 am


  3. Zeek on October 16, 2009 at 10:00 am

    Wait- they've postponed the entire thing or just the opening ceremonies? (I haven't talked to my SIL yet!)

  4. Zeek on October 16, 2009 at 10:02 am

    duh- "& first day of walking"- got it!

Leave a Reply