So Much For A Relaxing Saturday

The morning held such promise. I slowly awoke to the sound of a drenching rain pattering on the roof. Snuggling further into the blankets, I smiled at the thought of doing mostly nothing all day. Todd and I had to drive into his office for our flu shots, but other than that my day was whatever I wanted it to be.

After lazing around with a couple cups of coffee we headed off for our shots. We decided to hit Costco afterward since it’s not too much further, but not before stopping at Starbuck’s for my traditional post anything-slightly-resembling-a-medical-type-procedure Venti White Chocolate Mocha. By the time we got to Costco it was starting to rain pretty good.

We fought the crowds and wandered up and down the aisles until we couldn’t fit anything else into the cart. When we came out it was pouring like the liquid of your choice out of a boot. I ran up ahead of Todd to unlock the car and he threw our purchases into the back as fast as he could. He took the cart to the corral and as he shoved it in with his foot his other foot slipped, causing him to fly up into the air and land on his back, his head bouncing on the slick pavement like a rubber ball. He wasn’t nauseous or seeing double, so he drove home.

Thankfully the rain let up this afternoon because Todd and Taylor had to help our good friend, Ben, move out of his apartment and into our house. Most of his stuff went to the infamous Matt Silver’s basement, but he’s going to be living with us until he gets married next spring.

Todd has a blackbelt in Isshinryu Karate, but he hasn’t practiced it in years. Still, boys will be boys and when Taylor found out Ben was going to throw away some old slats from his bed, Tay asked Todd to break the wood with his hand. I think flexing muscles and moving furniture stirs up the testosterone because Todd took the ridiculous challenge. Twice. The only thing he managed to break was the skin on his knuckle. Thankfully he stopped trying when his hand went numb. He said Taylor laughed so hard he had to hold his jimmies while he rolled on the floor. Can someone explain that to me? Not being equipped in that way I don’t understand.

As Ben and Todd were finishing in Ben’s room I left to take Katie to Applebee’s. She and Taylor had been invited by some of the young adults to Buddy Night and Taylor was meeting everyone there with another friend who had helped Ben move. I dropped her off and cruised home with the sunroof open and the iPod blaring. Ben had gone to band practice (he leads the youth and adult band at church) and Todd and I were going to enjoy some quiet alone time with a little Thai food and a glass of Riesling.

I was the only one to have a glass of wine, but we both had the Thai I picked up on my way home and our quiet time resulted in both of us falling asleep while watching a movie on TV. I had just awoken when the phone rang. It was Katie calling to tell me the group had gone to Nelson’s for ice cream and she thought she may have eaten a peanut. For more on her nut allergy you can read here.

I grabbed the EpiPen and Todd and I flew out the door. Cristie, the girl who organized the Buddy Night, met us at a Wawa with Katie and we drove on to the hospital. I kept talking to her so I could listen to her and make sure her throat wasn’t closing up. It was a relief to hear her clear and calm voice and know she wasn’t having a terrible reaction.

We had to maneuver around a horrible accident and finally made it to the hospital. She was given preferential treatment because of the nature of her visit, but because her breathing was fine we weren’t rushed back. When we did make it to the back Katie hopped up on the gurney and leaned back, only to sit back up with a funny look on her face. Todd asked if she was feeling sick and she nodded her head. The hippie doctor handed her a little spit bowl just in time.

Todd grabbed the tiny bowl and held it for her as she threw up mass quantities of stuff with the force of a power washer. Suffice it to say the little spit bowl wasn’t big enough. Oh, and if I hadn’t already asked what she had to eat at Applebee’s we could have guessed. Nachos. When she finished her hurl session she and Todd hobbled into the bathroom to clean up and the nurse came in to change the sheet on the gurney.

Then he picked up the overflowing puke pot, sloshing the contents onto the floor, and threw it – contents and all – into the biohazardous waste bin. Todd and Katie came back and she looked much better. Todd, on the other hand, looked much worse for the wear. All I can say is it’s a good thing he was there because if I had been holding the plastic vomitorium and the barf splashed onto my hands the nurse would have had a whole lot more to clean up.

Tossed cookies aside, it was a fairly uneventful emergency room visit. No IVs. No shots. No drama. Just the constant smell of nachos and something unspeakable. My Dove deodorant smelled MUCH better. Thank heaven – or not – for Todd’s camera phone:

After Katie drank some water and kept it down without a problem she was given Benadryl and Pepcid – both pills – and a liquid steroid. She tossed it back like a kid at a frat party and we all held our breath as we watched her to see if it would make her throw up. I even said, “I’m sure that tasted better than all that disgusting stuff you let loose with,” and she just shook her head no. Okay, then.

They had us stay another ten minutes or so to make sure she tolerated the medicine without incident and then we were released. A shower, a glass of water and a nice, cozy bed was the thing for her when we got home. Washing everybody’s clothes was the thing for me.

Now it’s 11:30. Katie’s asleep, Todd’s watching the ballgame in bed, Ben is in his room and I’m waiting for Taylor to get home from Buddy Night. This would be the nice, relaxing part of my Saturday.


  1. Sherry on October 27, 2007 at 11:51 pm

    Okay, I’m exhaused just reading what your day entailed!!! Hope everyone is all right…Todd had a heck of a time, Katie had a big scare…may tomorrow be completely uneventful!! Nice photo by the way!! 😉

  2. Dev on October 28, 2007 at 12:18 am

    Well, maybe tomorrow will be better. Poor Katie!

  3. Becky on October 28, 2007 at 12:31 am

    How nice to finally SEE you! I don’t blame you for covering your face, either…the smell of the hospital alone would get to me, but add the smell of barf and then seeing it happen, and I’d have been tossing my cookies, too!May your day tomorrow be blessedly uneventful (well, aside from that wonderful sermon series, that is). Glad to know Katie is doing okay after the peanut incident! Poor girl…and after Nacho’s, too! Ick.

  4. Rosie on October 28, 2007 at 2:24 am

    What I can’t believe is that you had the energy to write about that day after having lived it. Whew!Is Todd’s head okay? That didn’t sound fun at all. I’m glad everyone is safe and sound.Would nachos re-visiting be anything like the time Shmoo decided he had the flu after eating mac-n-cheese? Bleeeech!!! Singed my nose hairs.

  5. Daisy on October 28, 2007 at 8:16 am

    May God bless you all!Um… Gotta go now. Feeling a tad green myself after reading this post.

  6. Monnik on October 28, 2007 at 9:26 am

    “vomitorium” bwhahah! You crack me up.Wow – that sounds like a very chaotic Saturday. Glad Katie’s ok. 🙂

  7. Anne on October 28, 2007 at 12:19 pm

    Oh my goodness! What insanity! Big hugs to you… and EWWWW on the whole vomit thing. I’m with you, vomit on my hands equals more vomit. Glad it wasn’t a severe reaction. Whew.

  8. Eileen on October 28, 2007 at 1:10 pm

    WOW, it does not sound like a very relaxing day!! Days never turn out the way we plan. Glad everyone is on the mend. Hope you all have a peaceful evening.XOXO

  9. KT on October 28, 2007 at 1:39 pm

    Wow, I’m so glad Katie’s OK! Those allergies are no fun, poor thing. My 6-year-old Leah (she shares Katie’s bday) is allergic to tree nuts (almonds, pistachios, etc.) so we understand how scary it all can be. Here’s hoping the rest of the weekend is totally uneventful, and you can have a nice relaxing Sunday! Katie

  10. Kellan on October 28, 2007 at 3:14 pm

    Good Lord – I am exhausted just reading all that – what a day. I’m glad it all worked out with the allergy scare! Hope you have had a more relaxing Sunday – see ya.

  11. Jan Jaffe on October 28, 2007 at 3:21 pm

    Oh My Gosh what a Sat.Just checking in to make sure Sunday is turning out to be a better day.How is Katie feeling?Are the parents yet recovered ?? :)Jan

  12. Lynilu on October 28, 2007 at 8:13 pm

    Geez! What a day! It makes me very happy that my kids are grown and gone!! I didn’t have problems with the kids’ barf back then, but now days? Well I’m very happy they are grown and gone!

  13. Jill Aldrich on October 28, 2007 at 11:41 pm

    Ok, wow. Between the pig tongues and the barf, you win the prize for skankalicous weekends 🙂

  14. Gretchen on October 29, 2007 at 12:53 am

    “preferential treatment” in the E.R…..surely you jest. I used to be in health care, so I know folks are busy, but I think you might have come up with an oxymoron above. Glad she’s okay! xxxooogretchen

  15. Swishy on October 29, 2007 at 3:17 am

    Ohhhhhh no! What do they say about the best-laid plans (or non-plans) … at least it gave you a blog post! That’s what I tell myself.

  16. CindyS on October 29, 2007 at 4:47 am

    Egads! That’s three so you’re all good in the hood. When I was a kid camping with the family my mother scalded her foot, my dad had bacon grease hit his bare chest while cooking breakfast and then my brother cracked his head open. We were at the hospital with Billy get stitches when I asked my mother what she supposed would happen to me. She replied (quite calmly) ‘Bad things only happen in threes’. Damn near fell on my knees in relief!I hope Katie is feeling better and just reading about the ER visit reminds me why God decided no kids for me. The picture would have been of me in the parking lot with my head between my knees ;)So carefree Monday is about to open for you. I hope you get some ‘you’ time!CindyS

  17. Jen on October 29, 2007 at 1:49 pm

    Oh no! What a terrible day! I hope Todd is okay after a fall like that. Sometimes it takes a day or two to feel really horrible. Glad Katie is okay – and tell her thank you. I will not be eating any nachos for a while! What a terrible thing to have in your tummy when you get sick!

  18. Stacy~ on October 29, 2007 at 4:48 pm

    Never a dull moment, huh Jen. Glad Katie’s okay. I hope Todd doesn’t feel any after effects from his fall. Take it easy, Jenster’s family.

  19. radioactive girl on October 29, 2007 at 8:19 pm

    How scary! I have to say I read it the first time as “a glass of WINE and a nice cozy bed” and I was confused as to why you would give her wine! I reread it and saw that it said water…maybe I thought YOU needed wine or something after all of that!

  20. Kim on November 1, 2007 at 9:06 pm

    I needed a glass of wine just to read that post! What a weekend! Hope everyone is okay now.

Leave a Reply